Sales representatives play a major role in any company!
Sales reps are in charge of presenting and selling products or services to customers. Moreover, they reach out to current and potential buyers and discuss the products and services.
All in all, sales reps attract target customers and clients to the organization.
With this in mind, it is important to hire an experienced and knowledgable sales rep that can help advance your company’s mission. A thorough and accurate sales rep job description can help you appeal to prospective candidates.
Keep reading to learn how to compile your own sales rep job description tailored to your company!
The Complete Guide to a Sales Rep Job Description
To begin, you will need a comprehensive job summary. The summary is a succinct paragraph that includes an overview of your company and a short explanation of the sales rep position.
Additionally, the summary should include your expectations for the position and the types of activities required for the job. This way, job seekers can quickly determine whether or not they are qualified for the position.
However, it’s important to remember not to make the job summary too long. The rest of your job description will likely be very detailed. The summary is meant to give a short overview of the position. Thus, if you provide too much detail in your summary, your description may sound repetitive.
With this in mind, keep your summary should be short and to-the-point.
Sales reps are in charge of several tasks. Below is a list of the most important tasks they will be in charge of. Nonetheless, you should add any responsibilities that are specific to your company.
- Create persuasive arguments to sell products and services to customers.
- Create cost-benefit analyses of customers.
- Maintain positive relationships with customers.
- Regularly reach out to potential customers.
- Take care of customer complaints quickly and efficiently.
- Set and maintain sales target goals.
- Communicate with team members regularly.
- Preparing and submitting sales contracts for orders.
- Answer customer’s questions.
- Write up reports on customer satisfaction.
- Keep up with current sales trends.
- Greet and assist customers.
Qualifications are one of the most important aspects of any job description. Determining and listing benchmark qualifications will assist in the final decision-making process, and job seekers when applying for the position. Here is a list of qualifications your new hire should have:
- Education: In most cases, sales reps will need a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, such as business, marketing, or economics. However, for non-technical positions, a high school diploma may be satisfactory. Consider the responsibilities for the position to determine the appropriate level of knowledge needed.
- Experience: Typically, an experienced sales rep will have at least two years of related work experience. Nonetheless, measures should be taken to audit work experience. For example, examine work samples or a professional profile to determine if the candidate has the appropriate skills to excel in the position.
Just because a candidate has the necessary education and experience, it doesn’t mean that they have the skills needed for a sales rep position. Therefore, it’s important to specify exactly what you are looking for in an employee. Here are the basic skills a sales rep must possess, but be sure to add any that are specific to your company:
- Highly motivated
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Great at time management
- Excellent selling and negotiation skills
- Humble and open to feedback
- Excellent customer service
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
Start the Process of Hiring Your Sales Rep Today!
However, there’s a much easier way to find and hire talented sales reps. Staffing agencies like Corporate Job Bank work closely with companies to find the talent they need.
As the largest locally owned staffing agency in Arizona, Corporate Job Bank is guaranteed to find you qualified workers for your company. Contact them today for more information!